2nd Lt 0-688496 613th
1921 - 1944
Bombardier aboard 42-37856 (Fancy Nancy III)
Margraten cemetery, Netherlands.
Plot : M , Row : 17 , Grave : 16.
Emil was born May 1, 1921, Pennsylvania and later moved to Detroit, Michigan.
His parents are from Czechoslovakia.
In Dec 2, 1942 he enlisted to the air corps.
In 1943 he arrived in England to join the 401st BG
His last mission, Jan 30, 1944, just before Target Brunswick, the plane was hit by a FW 190.
Unfortunately, Emil was killed
He was awarded with an Air Medal and a Purple Heart Medal
In 1944, when Emil died on the age of 21 he left behind his family :
His step father, Stephen Kuchka, age 57
His mother, Anna Kuchka, age 49
His (step)brother, Andrew Lahoncht, age 29
His (step)sister, Anna Lahoncht, age 23
Mission to Brunswick, germany, just before target the plane was hit by a FW 190 , German fighter.
Individual casualty questionaire
Told by S/Sgt Ray Lawrence Surowski , Engr / Top Turret.
- Name of crew member : Smetana , Emil.
- Rank : 2nd Lt.
- Serial number : 0-688496
- Position : Bombardier.
- Did he bail out ? : No knowledge.
- Last contact just prior to loss of plane ? : When enemy fighters were sighted Lt. Smetana said :
" OK Gunners, get on the Ball ".
- Was he injured ? : Not at that time.
- Where was he last seen ? : Before take-off.
- Any explanation of his fate ? : Might have been killed during fighter attack or could not bail out before ship
- Total number of missions of above crew member ? : 5.
- Date and destinations if possible ? : Dec 31, 1943 Cognac , France
Jan 5, 1944 Tours , France
Jan 21, 1944 Notre Dame de Ferme , France
Jan 29, 1944 Frankfurt
Jan 30, 1944 Brunswick
Lt. Ronald R. Rohner Crew
Standing L to R: Ray Surowski, John Morreale, Homer Arbogast, Cliff Barker. Kenneth Dickerson, Lowel Reif.
Kneeling L to R: Stanley Johnson, Emil Smetana, Ronald Rohner, Frank Leonard.
Taken at Redmond Oregon in final days of training.
2nd Lt. Emil Smetana was buried on the cemetery of Ochsendorf at 16:00 hrs on 30 March. 44.
If you have questions, remarks or information , please feel free to Email me
or leave a message in my guestbook